So you want to start a business? Or perhaps you already own a company and you’re needing to grow your customer base. Let’s face it, today’s consumer has a lot of services and products to choose from. Investors, on the other hand, have people lined up at their door anxious to pitch their big ideas. So, what must you do to grab their attention? It’s all in your messaging! Your business success or failure is based upon how well you communicate and relate your business offerings to your consumer.
J.D. Wilson, Chairman and CEO of Excalibur Direct Marketing, will introduce the March event. “I’ve heard a lot of creative business and arts based pitches in my career,” J.D. says. “And I find myself inclined to support when the messaging is relate-able and has an emotional hook.” J.D. is an enthusiastic Winston-Salem community supporter who has worked closely with University of North Carolina School of the Arts, the Kenan Institute for the Arts, Reynolda House, Arts Council of Winston-Salem, and numerous others.
Here are a few tips for writing a compelling message that your customer will relate to:
• Help communicate your business’ values and why they are useful to your customer
• Articulate how your product or service will solve their problem and tell it in a meaningful way
• Don’t tell the solution – you’re not an infomercial. Sell your solution by focusing on benefits, not features.
• Your messaging needs to be concise. There’s nothing worse than rambling only to leave your potential customer confused.
• Practice pitching in front of a focus group, colleagues or friends. Consider filming your presentation. Also film your attendees to gauge their response to your messaging. Practice leads to perfection.
Are you are a member of the Swerve creative community? If so, here’s your chance to practice pitching before a panel of seasoned business coaches and community leaders during the Swerve meetup on March, 17. Registration is required by March 4th. Five members will be selected to pitch and will be notified by March 11th.
Not yet a member of Swerve? Join us for the Share Your Pitch event on March 17, to connect with creative people, startups, investors, and educators. Get valuable insight and learn how to help you shape your messaging. Registration required – Free for members and $20 for non-members. Learn more at www.SwerveTriad.com.