Statistics and Data
- EMPLOYMENT - 30,000 Creative Jobs 32% Design Based 9,100
- GROWTH - 11% job growth in creative occupations between 2003-2008
- SALARIES - $59,131 Design/Digital Media $37,288 all creative sectors
- EARNINGS - $1 billion per year
- SALES Creative Enterprises $2.97 billion
- Employment - 293,000 jobs in creative industries
- Salaries - 10 billion in employee compensation
- Sales - 41 billion in goods, services produced and sold by NC creative industries
A recent survey of regional manufacturers by Regional Technology Strategies, Inc. and IES reveals:
- 20 % of firms state that all of their sales are due to design.
- 40 % of firms state that a majority of sales are due to design.
- Design was listed as the third most important factor to business success after financial and operational management.
- 50 % of firms expect to increase expenditures on design over three years.
- 40 % of firms describe design as critical to business success.
Studies of the labor market between 1973 and the present show that the prospect for continuing employment is much higher for creative occupations than for routine jobs that do not require creative/ analytical skills. During that period, unemployment for creative jobs rarely rose to four percent. For routine jobs, unemployment rarely dipped as low as four percent.
Faster job growth and slower job loss for Creative Jobs
National Endowment for the Arts
Creative workforce reports 2011